De Rossi Logo 400px

Care Home Fee Protection

Make us your first choice for financial planning. We can advise on Equity Release, Wills, Trusts and Lasting Powers of Attorney to successfully mitigate and manage Care Home fees. Our experts can mitigate unnecessary Care Home fees, should you require the services of privately funded residential care in the future through the use of these products. Watch our FREE video below to learn more.

Get in touch with us today for more information.

Watch Our

De Rossi Logo 150px

Consider A Property Trust

A Property Trust is designed to protect half, or sometimes all, of your property from the assessment of long-term care fees. It is suitable for spouses or civil partners who own a property in joint names. Upon death, the surviving spouse keeps their share of the house, whilst the deceased’s share is held in the Trust. You can therefore ensure that your respective share of the property will be passed on to your children or family members, yet due to the property not being able to be sold or charged due to the Trust, it is possible to protect the entire asset if the survivor later goes into full-time care. Watch our video below to explain how this works.

Equity Release

If you are over 55, Equity Release allows you to release some of the equity (cash) in your home as a lump sum (Rule of thumb is up to 38% of the value of your home). You can stay in your property for your lifetime and still remain the owner. The Equity Release funding is a mortgage which does not have to be repaid until your death (or the second spouse passing away).

This is sometimes used to mitigate Care Home fee contribution for individuals who do not own their home with another person like a spouse, whereby the option is to spend the money and enjoy it whilst your health is good. You can invest the money into a variety of financial products and we refer you to one of our trusted partners to deal with the investment element. Some Investment Bonds sit outside of your estate and are not counted as an asset, therefore they are not considered for care contributions.

A Family

There are some careful navigations added into the bespoke Trusts preferred by our experts, which go further to protect your entire estate with further consideration in protecting the ‘Family Trust’ from third party claims against the next generation of Beneficiaries also.

​The complexity of the Trusts is why you should instruct a specialist to advise and navigate these specialist documents. So, please make an enquiry for an appointment with us to discuss your requirements. Also you can watch our FREE seminar on how this works below in the instructional video.


Whether an individual needs to pay for their care in a Care Home will be dependent on their circumstances.

The local authority will assess an individual’s finances through a means test. A means test will work out who is responsible for paying for long-term care by looking into the value of that individual’s assets. The value of the assets (which includes bank accounts, savings, investments, the house etc.) will then determine if the local authority will pay towards the individual’s Care Home fees. If you have more than £23,250.00 (England) or £50,000.00 (Wales) then you will pay in full for your own care.

If an individual owns a house, they will generally need to pay for their own Care Home fees as their assets will exceed £23,250.00 (in England) or £50,000.00 (in Wales) in value. However, there are instances where the home will not be included in the financial assessment even if you are not living in it, this is known as property disregard. Examples of when the house may be disregarded are:

  • You move into a Care Home on a short-term or temporary basis.
  • You move into a Care Home permanently, but your spouse, partner or civil partner still lives there.
  • Your close relative aged 60 or over lives in the house.
  • Your close relative under 16 whom you are legally responsible for lives in the house.
  • Your close relative is disabled and lives in the house.

Please note, this is not a conclusive list there may be other reasons a property is disregarded.

Currently, if you have less than £23,250 in savings you will be eligible for the local authority to pay towards your Care Home fees. How much the local authority will pay towards the cost of your care is dependent on what care you need and how much you can afford to pay yourself, as your income is considered.

On the other hand, if you have more than £23,250 in assets you will need to pay for your care fees in full until they dwindle below that level.

As mentioned above, if your spouse, partner, civil partner (or certain other people) want to continue living in your house, whilst you go into a Care Home, then you do not need to sell the house to pay for care. However, you will pay for the care yourself if the value of your other assets exceeds the figure of £23,250. In addition, you can prepare a collection of legal documents to include Wills, Trust Funds, Lasting Powers of Attorney and Memorandums of Wishes to navigate a protective package which can stop the home from being sold.

De Rossi Logo 400px

De Rossi Griffiths

Contact us today to find out more about the services we offer.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.